2.17.2009

Old and New

Some churches reject anything new because we must "seek the old paths". God never changes and therefore, the old ways are still His ways and all this newfangled stuff is not to be embraced (or trusted). Some churches reject the old ways because they are "out-dated" and stuffy. God never changes and His word never changes, but He does things new ways with new people. No one puts new wine into old wineskins do they?
I can see the logic of both these views. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I know that God reaches people where they are, so I see Him doing the same things He's always been doing (reaching out to lost people with His love), but He's doing those things in a way that people today can understand and embrace. Not everything new is bad! Then again, I see the wisdom of the old paths. We can't afford to forget about righteous living, holiness and the fear and admonition of the Lord. Not everything old is out-dated!
What I don't understand is the way we fight over these issues. The Bible says to work out your own salvation, so why do we try to make everyone act the same?! Read the Bible, pray for wisdom, listen for the Holy Spirit to speak to your heart and do what He says. And let your neighbor do the same! I know there are those who teach things that are contrary to the scriptures and we must all stand against error and stand up for the truth of God's word. But when it's all said and done, I will answer for my life and you will answer for your life. No one will be able to blame someone else for their sins nor ride into Heaven on someone else's faith! I am willing to let you be you and love you even if we disagree!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts.