2.09.2009

Progress

What is progress? Is progress simply moving forward? Most people seem to think it is. The cry of the world against conservative Christians is "You're blocking progress!". Every time someone wants to push the envelope they do it in the name of progress. But progress isn't just moving forward. Progress is moving toward a goal! Sometimes progress can be moving backwards!
If I'm in New York and my goal is to get to Los Angeles, moving north is not progress. I can move north just as fast as I can and, even though I'm moving fast, I'm not moving toward my goal. That's not progress! If I'm in Tennessee and my goal is to get to Ohio, moving north is progress. But if I keep moving north and find myself in Michigan, turning around and going back South would be progress! Continuing north would be forward movement, but not progress!
Let him who hath an ear hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts.