5.04.2009

That's All I Need

My faith has found a resting place,
Not in device nor creed;
I trust the Everliving One,
His wounds for me shall plead.

Enough for me that Jesus saves,
This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul, I come to Him,
He’ll never cast me out.

My heart is leaning on the Word,
The written Word of God,
Salvation by my Savior’s name,
Salvation through His blood.

My great Physician heals the sick,
The lost He came to save;
For me His precious blood He shed,
For me His life He gave.

Refrain:
I need no other argument,
I need no other plea;
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.

—Lidie H. Edmunds, 19th Century

There are hundreds of promises in the Bible that believers can claim. I claim them all because I know that "He who promised is faithful". I am grateful for all those promises, but actually, all I need is the promise that Jesus' death gives me life; that his shed blood cleansed me from sin. I can stand on that promise and know that "it is well with my soul"! All those other promises give me hope, but the promise that Jesus died for me gives me peace. I can lay down and rest at night knowing that, no matter what happens as I sleep, whether I awake again or not, everything will be alright.

I need no other argument, I need no other plea, except that Jesus' death, burial and resurrection has secured me for eternity! Until you can be sure that promise is yours, the other promises don't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts.