2.25.2008

Becoming

When I think about my life, who I am and what I am, I remember a scene from the animated film, The Lion King. Simba, son of the Lion King, has run away from his rightful place as King, following his father's death. He didn't see himself as a king; He didn't feel like a king; He didn't think he could handle being king. His father appeared to him in a vision and said "Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become.".
Those words have stayed with me for years now and have come to be a reminder to me that there's never a good stopping place in life. Life is a journey and we are meant to keep moving until the journey is over. If we stop at a comfortable place, we are in danger of staying there forever. Remember what you learned in science class: an object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion? In other words, it's easier to keep going than to get going.
I must admit that I am one of the world's worst at staying motivated and keeping up the pace. I get tired and allow my feelings to stop my progress. My intention is to just slow down long enough to rest, but then I look around and notice that I am standing still! I'm just grateful that the Holy Spirit loves me enough to not leave me in that condition. He comes along side me and reminds me of that scene in the Lion King (among other things) and whispers in my ear "You are more than you have become. Keep going. Seek completeness. Be all you were created to be!"
Contemplate your life. Think about who you are and who you were created to be. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you wisdom and insight into what God wants for you. Let's all seek greatness. I believe that God created us to be extraordinary beings, we just have to keep on keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts.