11.13.2013

Keep it Real


"One of my problems is that I like to be liked. I spend most of my social and professional life around Christians, so it is mostly Christians I want to please. Any "real" Christian must say and do certain things, thus ensuring acceptance by the Christian community. You have to subscribe to a certain standard, and live reasonably close to it; you must use certain catchwords popular in the Christian community; and you must never express doubts or ask questions...
When the requirement for acceptance in any particular group is to think certain thoughts, to act in certain ways, and to fit certain molds ~ and we don't think or act that way, or fit the mold ~ we tend to fake it. We put on a mask that says, 'I'm just like you. Now, will you please love me and accept me?' I can think of hardly anything that will kill your joy and freedom more than wearing a mask geared to get others to accept you because you're acting like them....
Before I gave up, I spent half of my time trying to do something I couldn't do, and the other half of my time trying to convince others that I had done it. It is called hypocrisy, and it's quite human and quite injurious to your sanity...as well as your freedom. That's why I gave it up." ~ Steve Brown

Popeye the sailor said "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam!". And the Genie from Disney's Alladin advised Alladin to 'beeeee yourself!'. Even cartoon characters know that pretending to be something you're not is just too hard. 'Playing Christian' is stressful, dangerous and unfortunately... common.
I know we are commanded in the Bible to live holy lives, to be humble people, to dress modestly and speak soberley and these things we have in common as believers. But I also know that Christians can be very judgmental and critical of other Christians if they look, talk or think the least bit different. As the Apostle Paul would say - brothers and sisters, this shouldn't be so.
Be yourself. God loves you and real Jesus followers will love you too. Imitate no one but Christ and you'll be just fine.