11.28.2013

Thy Will Be Done

When it comes to theology, I confess that there are many things I don't know. I'm quite sure there are many, many more things that I don't know than I do know. Often, when asked my thoughts on a certain subject, I have had to answer honestly, I don't know.
But there is one thing that I know I know: God is sovereign. Everything that happens is his will, it is ultimately good and ultimately brings him glory. Notice I said ultimately. God doesn't promise that everything that happens is good, but that everything works together for good. Things happen that I don't understand; Things happen that I don't like; Things happen that make me sad; Things happen that hurt me at the time of their happening. But because I have settled the question of God's sovereignty in my heart, I can go on in peace and have hope no matter what happens.
Life can be hard. The world can be a miserable place sometimes. I'm not saying that I'm always happy; Happiness is too easily manipulated by circumstances. It's easy to be happy when everything is going right. It's more difficult to be happy when times are tough. I said I could go on in hope and peace. When hope is lost and peace can't be found, life isn't worth living. We see it everday - people who have money, fame, and all the trappings of 'the good life' commit suicide and we wonder what could have caused them to do such a thing. Having things may make you happy, but having things doesn't give hope or bring peace.
Knowing that everything that happens to me has been filtered through God's loving hands and will eventually be for my good brings me peace. Knowing that the day is coming when all my tears will be dried and all my fears, worries and struggles will end gives me hope. I want God's will to be done in everything, even when I don't understand it or even like it.