1.05.2009

I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!

Remember that old TV commercial where the sweet old lady falls down and can't get up again so she calls for help on her little electronic device (or whatever it was they were hawking). She just sounded so pitiful saying "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" She was just lying there helpless waiting for someone to come along and help her up. The gist of the commercial was that she would have been in very dire straights had she not had that little device with her that allowed her to call for help. She could have laid there for many days crying out for help and no one outside her house would have been able to hear her. Thank goodness for that little device!
There have been times in my Christian life when I felt like I had fallen and couldn't get up. Ever been there? Lying there in the floor crawling around helplessly wondering if anyone could hear your cries for help? Wondering if anyone would care even if they did hear! I've been there! There's an old Merle Haggard tune called "I'm Always on a Mountain When I Fall" and that seems to be the way with me. When I fall, I fall far! It never seems to be the little stumble and spill that others take; It's from the rim of the Grand Canyon to the floor below!
The Bible warns us "Let Him that thinketh He standeth, take heed lest He fall." I Cor. 10:12. Sometimes we start thinking that we've made it, that we've got it all figured out. The next thing we hear is our faces hitting the floor. The good news is that we do possess a device much like that little old lady had. It enables our cries for help to be heard far beyond our own doorway; far, far beyond! It's called prayer. And it always finds the ear of someone who cares. Sometimes, whether out of shame and embarrassment or out of stubborness, we are relunctant to push the button and cry out. But, hey, it's either repent and ask for help or lie there in the floor forever! I've cried out so many times now that it's not even funny anymore. But never has God, my father, ever once chided me for falling or failed to rush to my rescue. He's so wonderful!
Maybe this all seems like I'm rambling, but I just feel like there's someone out there right now who's fallen and can't get up. I want you to know that you're not the Lone Ranger and you don't hold the record for falling down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts.