8.22.2007

Our Father Which Art In Heaven

Why is it so hard for Christians to see God as their father? The Bible teaches very plainly that it has always been God's plan to have father-son and father-daughter relationships with people. That is what we were created for! Jesus was the firstborn of many brethren!
I guess some may see calling God their father as becoming too familiar with Almighty God. Maybe they think it will seem that they are making themselves somewhat equal with Him. I never want to forget the fact that He is omnipotent, omniscient and holy, but I don't want to see Him as a distant and harsh overseer that I can't approach either!
It was God's idea to be our father! He initiated the contact! He made it possible! He (through Jesus) said that we should pray "Our father, which art in heaven"! God doesn't rule through fear and intimidation; He rules by love! He didn't create us (and then redeem us) just to have someone to order around, someone to toy with. We are not His pets, we are His children!
I am not God and I will never be God. I don't want to be God! But I am God's! I am His son! Jesus is my big brother! I am His by creation, His by redemption, His by being born of His Spirit and His by my own free-will offering! If God wants me to call Him father and He wants to call me son, I am willing and honored beyond words.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts.